ADMIRAL RAPHAEL SEMMES CAMP #11
SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS
Medical care during the war
Mobile city hospital
Mobile City Hospital located at 900 St. Anthony Street Mobile, AL.
Mobile City Hospital, also known as Old Mobile General Hospital, is a historic Greek Revival hospital building in Mobile, Alabama, United States. It was built in 1830 by Thomas S. James and served as a hospital for the city of Mobile from 1831 until 1966. It was administered for the city by the Sisters of Charity throughout a large part of its history. Residents of the city were treated here during epidemics of yellow fever and during the American Civil War. It was converted to office space after 1966. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 26, 1970.
Marine Hospital located at 800 St. Anthony St. Mobile, AL
The United States Marine Hospital is a historic Greek Revival hospital building in Mobile, Alabama, United States. Construction began in 1838 and was completed in 1842. It was designed by architect Frederick Bunnell and was operated by the Marine Hospital Service from its opening until it closed, in 1952. It treated injured Confederate and Union soldiers during the American Civil War. It shares some design features, such as its two-story colonnades, with its neighbor, the old Mobile City Hospital.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 27, 1974. The Mobile County Board of Health acquired title to the property from theTuberculosis Association on October 23, 1975. By 1983 the board had created an adjoining new structure to the rear of the main structure and restored the historic building. The facility was rededicated as the Major General William C. Gorgas Clinic in 1984